Do you want to give your career in the polymeric industry a boost? Have the right entrance to business life? Create bonds with universities and companies? Join “making-a-difference” projects? Be a part of the future?
Apply for one of our vacancies!
Contributing to the world of tomorrow. Envision it. Become a
SCIENTIST CIRCULAR PACKAGING | GELEEN
Interested? Apply now via TNO.
Brightlands Materials Center (BMC) performs programmatic industrial application driven research in the field of polymeric materials that will provide solutions for the societal challenges of tomorrow. It’s meeting place is the Brightlands Chemelot Campus, with a global network of leading companies along the value chain and renowned universities and institutes.
The Materials Solutions department from TNO is the linking pin between the Brightlands Materials Center and the TNO organization and employs the majority of the professional research staff. The department has a strong track record in the development of coatings, nanomaterials and polymeric modifications and functionalization. Within the context of the BMC programs, TNO has a vacancy for a scientist in the field of Circular Packaging.
For this vacancy, the working location will primarily be the Brightlands Chemelot Campus in Geleen.
WHAT WILL BE YOUR ROLE?
As Scientist Circular Packaging (CP) you are responsible for innovative and advanced research in process and material development for sustainable and circular plastic packaging solutions. You are responsible in setting the course for the CP research program, together with the Program Manager. You are responsible for part of the research program, such as defining research topics, engaging with potential project partners, and acquiring new research projects fitting in the program.
You will lead research projects in the field of circular packaging materials (polymers and additives), in particular in relation to their structural behavior and end of life solutions. Therefore, extensive knowledge of polymeric materials, their processing, including experience in modelling, are key assets. You will use your initiative and knowledge to drive cross-fertilization in the different technologies developed at BMC. You will perform research activities supporting the program, and cooperate with PhD, MSc and BSc students working at the BMC premises or at connected universities.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Leading applied research projects in the field of processing and material (re)design for, both rigid and flexible, packaging applications and coordinating the work of scientists and research engineers in these projects;
- Communication with customers / partners on scientific progress and project results;
- Active participation in discussions on the strategy of the research program;
- Actively driving new project definition and acquisition in your field of expertise and fitting with the strategy of the research program;
- Maintaining a network with academic and industrial partners;
- Publishing and presenting your work, both internally and externally.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU
- You have experience in working in multidisciplinary research projects and are a team player who likes to take initiative.
- You have a result-driven and customer-oriented attitude in your work and are pro-active in stakeholder management (both internally and externally), and will contribute to the TNO/BMC strategy for Circular Packaging. You will shape new research consortia / projects and will be active in project acquisition. Experience in this field is very relevant, and a good academic and industrial network is clearly an advantage.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- PhD in polymer physics, polymer processing or related science, with at least five years working experience in polymer material research in industry or at a research and technology organization;
- In-depth knowledge and expertise in the field of polymer physics and surface chemistry (adhesion and barrier properties), processing and characterization of polymer materials, and development of these materials for industrial applications;
- Network of relevant companies, research and technology organizations and universities;
- Experience in the field of modelling physical processes is a strong advantage;
- Experience in packaging design and characterization is a strong advantage;
- Experience in end of life solutions for plastic packaging is a strong advantage;
- Experience in defining research projects and programs, such as acquisition of subsidized R&D projects (e.g. EU H2020, Interreg);
- Experience in leading a team of scientists and research engineers;
Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work in a multidisciplinary team with a multitude of stakeholders;
Willingness to travel to different TNO locations and external customers.
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.813,- and € 5.801,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
TNO AS AN EMPLOYER
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please apply before the 21st of March, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
HAS THIS JOB OPENING SPARKED YOUR INTEREST?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Brahim Dagdaoui
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-111 60129
Hiring manager: Jan Pieter Maurice
Phone number: 08886 65764
Our application proces
You can apply via the job application button under the vacancy text. You will then be directed to the TNO web page where you can fill in the application form. You will receive an email to confirm receipt of your job application. Applications for scientific positions will be examined by scientific group leaders, application for business development will be examined by business people.
If you have applied for a position and you are invited for an interview, then we will organize a day program for you. During this day you will speak with different people, you will give a presentation about your recent work or final dissertation and you will receive a guided tour of the laboratories. Travel and accommodation costs will be reimbursed. Within several days of your visit you will hear whether you have been offered a job.